If you want, you can take a short detour to the summit cross of the Wachtküppel. If goats are grazing in the pasture, please do not take a dog to the summit.
Safety informationThe tourist routes of the Rhön are mostly used by other active people (hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, walkers, riders, cross-country skiers, etc.).
We ask all active nature sports enthusiasts to show consideration for one another. The same applies, of course, to nature - it is worth protecting. In the Rhön, therefore, nature sports should only be practiced in daylight on designated paths and areas.
Tips and hints
Getting thereThe starting point of the hike can be reached via the A7 / A66.
From the A7 you drive onto the A66 at the Autobahn triangle 93 Fulda.
Leave the A66 at exit 54 Eichenzell and take the L3307 in the direction of Rönshausen and follow it to Weyhers. In the village you have to turn right and then left in quick succession, so that you are on the way in the direction of Poppenhausen. A short time later you turn right in Altenmühle towards Ebersburg / Maiersbach. On this route, the car park for hikers is on the left-hand side of the street by the Wendelinus Church.
ParkingHiking car park Wachtküppel | GoogleMaps
Book recommendation by the author
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain clothes
- Sun protection at high temperatures
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device or map
- Sufficient drinks and provisions
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.