Starting from the town center, you walk along the hiking trail in a south-westerly direction below the Nebelberg (533m). If you want, you can also walk over the Nebelberg on an alternative route. The course continues past the Roßhof. A little later in the route you come to the deserted area of the Kohlbachhof. The Rhönpaulus, the Robin Hood of the Rhön, lived here in his youth. The residents of the farm were forcibly relocated and the buildings were destroyed in 1972.
Continuing, the circular hiking trail leads to the Gotteskopf (576m). The mountain does not bear its name for nothing - after all, it was the seat of the old Germanic gods (Asen and Wanen). These were also honored there with offerings at the time. Remains of a prehistoric hill fort can still be seen on the mountain today.
On the circular route you now walk back to the starting point of the tour back to Roßdorf.
Safety informationThe tourist routes of the Rhön are mostly used by other active people (hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, walkers, riders, cross-country skiers, etc.)
We ask all active nature sports enthusiasts to show consideration for one another. The same applies, of course, to nature - it is worth protecting. In the Rhön, therefore, nature sports should only be practiced in daylight on designated paths and areas.
Tips and hintsRestaurant in and around of Kaltennordheim-Roßdorf
Getting thereYou can drive to Roßdorf via the A4 or A71.
Leave the A4 via exit 33 Friedewald and take the B62 in the direction of Vacha. In Vacha, continue on the B84 in the direction of Bad Salzungen. At Dorndorf, turn right onto the L1022 in the direction of Stadtlengsfeld and Dermbach and follow this to the small town of Hartschimmern, where you turn left into Urnshausen. Here you drive through Bernshausen and shortly afterwards you reach Roßdorf, the starting point of the circular hiking trail.
Leave the A71 at exit 21 Meiningen-Nord. Then you drive on the B19 through Meiningen and on via Walldorf and Wasungen to Schwallungen. Leave the B19 at Schwallungen and follow the signs from there to Roßdorf.
ParkingParking lot Schloßplatz Roßdorf | GoogleMaps
Book recommendation by the author
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain clothes
- Sun protection at high temperatures
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device or map
- Sufficient drinks and provisions
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.