The Pferdskopf mountain itself is a basaltic branch of the Wasserkuppe. At its foot, the circular route leads back to the starting point of the hike in Poppenhausen.
Safety informationThe tourist routes of the Rhön are mostly used by other active people (hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, walkers, riders, cross-country skiers, etc.).
We ask all active nature sports enthusiasts to show consideration for one another. The same applies, of course, to nature - it is worth protecting. In the Rhön, therefore, nature sports should only be practiced in daylight on designated paths and areas.
Tips and hints
Getting thereArrival by car is possible via the A7 and A66.
Leave the A7 at exit 92 Fulda-Mitte and take the B458 in the direction of Hilders. When you reach the small village of Steinwand, turn right towards Poppenhausen.
Leave the A66 at exit 54 Eichenzell and then join the L3307 in the direction of Rönshausen / Poppenhausen. In Weyhers, turn right onto Fuldaer Straße and at the end of the town turn left again onto Lüttertal street (L3307). On this one reaches Poppenhausen.
ParkingParking lot leisure area Lüttergrund, Sebastian-Kneipp-Weg, 36163 Poppenhausen | GoogleMaps
Book recommendation by the author
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain clothes
- Sun protection at high temperatures
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device or map
- Sufficient drinks and provisions
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Blister kit
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.