Looking at the ground we discover the typical limestone grassland of the Rhön. It forms a species-rich habitat for animals and plants. What exactly is blooming there? Which animals live here? The adventure stations at selected rest areas provide answers. Here we learn how the Rhön cultural landscape came into being and how it is cared for and preserved. With great pictures in mind and new knowledge, we return to our starting point, the Ulmenstein car park.
Safety informationThe tourist routes of the Rhön are mostly used by other active people (hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, walkers, riders, cross-country skiers, etc.).
We ask all active nature sports enthusiasts to show consideration for one another. The same applies of course to nature - it is worth protecting. In the Rhön, therefore, nature sports should only be practiced in daylight on designated paths and areas.
Tips and hints
Getting thereThe Extratour Ulmenstein can be reached by car via the A7. The motorway is left at exit 90 Hünfeld-Schlitz. On the L3176 you drive in the direction of Hünfeld. At the roundabout just before Hünfeld, take the exit towards Hilders / Tann. Follow the road to the signs to Hofaschenbach. After turning left, you drive into town immediately. Here you follow the signs to the Ulmenstein car park.
ParkingParkplatz Ulmenstein, Hofaschenbach | GoogleMaps
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain clothes
- Sun protection at high temperatures
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device or map
- Sufficient drinks and provisions
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.