The route continues above the village to the vineyard, a shell limestone slope on which wine was grown until 1840. From here and the viewing platform at the former quarry, which is reached shortly afterwards, the view can wander over the beautiful landscape of the Rhön and Grabfeld. Over meadows and through forests we reach the Höhberg with its summit cross, on which the panoramic views of the Lautertalblick and the Michelsbergblick open up to us. Finally, we reach the highlight of the Extratour, the Schlegelwarte - an observation tower from the 13th century, which can still be climbed today. Shortly afterwards we arrived back at the starting point of our hiking tour.
Safety informationThe tourist routes of the Rhön are mostly used by other active people (hikers, mountain bikers, cyclists, walkers, riders, cross-country skiers, etc.).
We ask all active nature sports enthusiasts to show consideration for one another. The same applies of course to nature - it is worth protecting. In the Rhön, therefore, nature sports should only be practiced in daylight on designated paths and areas.
Tips and hints
Getting thereDie Anfahrt mit dem Auto zur Extratour Strahlungen ist über die A71 möglich. Dazu verlasst ihr die Autobahn auf der Ausfahrt 26 Münnerstadt und fährt auf der B286 bis Münnerstadt. Dort folgt man der Ausschilderung nach Strahlungen über die Zentstraße. Kurz nach einer Brücke kann man rechts zum Wanderparkplatz an der Schlegelwarte abbiegen.
Parkplatz an der Schlegelwarte, Strahlungen | GoogleMaps
Book recommendation by the author
Author’s map recommendations
- Sturdy shoes
- Rain clothes
- Sun protection at high temperatures
- First aid kit
- GPS navigation device or map
- Sufficient drinks and provisions
Basic Equipment for Hiking
- Sturdy, comfortable and waterproof hiking boots or approach shoes
- Layered, moisture wicking clothing
- Hiking socks
- Rucksack (with rain cover)
- Protection against sun, rain and wind (hat, sunscreen, water- and windproof jacket and suitable legwear)
- Hiking poles
- Ample supply of drinking water and snacks
- First aid kit
- Kit para bolhas
- Bivy / survival bag
- Survival blanket
- Pocket knife
- Cell phone
- Navigation equipment / map and compass
- Emergency contact details
- The 'basic' and 'technical' equipment lists are generated based on the selected activity. They are not exhaustive and only serve as suggestions for what you should consider packing.
- For your safety, you should carefully read all instructions on how to properly use and maintain your equipment.
- Please ensure that the equipment you bring complies with local laws and does not include restricted items.